Sunday, April 3, 2011

"Walking Around"

This weekend's events reminded of Pablo Neruda's poem "Walking Around." Since I do not have a car in Erie, I rely on the EMTA bus for transportation and most of the time it decides never to come on time, and it really frustrates me when this happens especially when I get to the bus stop in advance to make sure I do not miss it. So, therefore I am tired and wish I could change today's society. Similar to the speaker of Neruda's poem, he wishes he was not apart of society and that he could do whatever his heart wanted, but unfortunately that is not the case with today's world. This poem is passionate and violent at times. It describes death with imagery and then it depicts veryday routines which bother the man. In this world, humans have a list of every day norms that they should abide by and Neruda reveals a character that wants to live against them. Neruda states, "I want nothing but the repose wither of stones or of wool, / I want to see more establishments, no more gardens, / nor merchandise, nor glasses, nor elevators /" (6-8). The speaker wants stop being human and live by his own set of rules like how I wished I was not apart of this society that had to wait for buses to show up on time. With a car, I would have my freedom to do whatever I wanted in Erie, but of course I am held back by the restraints of society.

No comments:

Post a Comment